Adaptive Reuse Project: Auto Garage Turned Mixed Use

HEDGEHOG HOLDINGS

Image

While the building at 400 West Morgan Street/401 Hillsborough Street is now a great mixed-use location, the building started out its life as something quite different!  This historic structure sits just down the street from the North Carolina State Capitol Building and has stood at its present location, in some form, since 1929, when we find it documented as a tire sales and service company.

Since its time as Tire Sales to its current mixed-use as office, restaurant/bar, and educational space, it has seen many businesses come and go. In the late 1930’s Goodyear Tires became the primary tenant, selling appliances and goods in addition to tires and car parts.  Woods Thomas Company moved into the building in 1969. In 1973, the one story portion of the building facing Hillsborough Street was home to Edward’s Home Furnishings while the rear of the building facing West Morgan Street continued to operate…

View original post 160 more words